Thursday, April 1, 2010

HakenDover
















A whole month without a single blogpost?.......Dear me......

'Bout time then that I keep everyone abreast........

Where to start then....ermmmm....oh yeah, trip to Belgium for God's sake last month...how can I forget about that...
Reason how I ended up in Belgium without Jess and Laetitia was that the family business needed some help and how could I say 'no' to it, as I was raised into this business and has made me into what I am today.....so hupsakee....off I went end of February,.......
Any noticeable happenings apart from the time I spend in the kitchen? You sure bet there was, and this first post is about a small, little village located practically in the middle of nowhere called 'Hakendover'.....
Roel Van Roosbroeck, a longtime highschool friend, and his lovely family invited me to spend some quality time at their home, an erstwhile old farm renovated into a cosy house....

Thank God for the existence of GPS, otherwise finding this little village would have given me a sure headache :p
Apart from rekindling old ties with Roel and Inge and their kids, I fell totally in love with this village, situated between acres of fields as far as the eye can see, dotted here and there with some age-old farms, a truly magical vista, lust for the eyes....

Ofcourse, the modern world has crept into this little village, slowly but surely expanding its concrete roads and adjacent houses into the fields....

Will it ever look the same again in 20 years time? I sure do hope so, that is if the government bureaucratics do know how to protect this place's heritage from the unsatiable appetite of property developers.


Combine this together with the lovely hospitality of the Van Roosbroeck's....serving traditional Flemish dishes like mussels, Belgian fries!!, and asparagus with bacon, mashed potatoes for lunch and dinner....yummy......I wouldn't replace this feeling with any money in the world....
And would we like to live here? It's still affordable, it's in the middle of nowhere but conveniently close to major towns like Tienen and Leuven.........

Better jot this place down as one my favourite places to stay then....:p
Thanks Roel, Inge, Cisse, Janne and Dries for the Hospitality....

No comments: